carepack.ie is the coming together of a great idea and a great website and two caring hearts, Geraldine Monaghan & Stephen Griffin, who wanted to make the world a less lonely place for our most senior citizens in the height of the Covid-19 Pandemic of 2020.
What started out as a simple idea on Geraldine’s facebook page, very quickly became a good will movement that swept the Republic and Northern Ireland and resulted in 13,000 full-time residents of care homes connecting with kind strangers who sent them little gifts for Christmas 2020, and a whopping 20,000 residents in 2021, and 21,000 residents in 2022!
It was a gesture of kindness that showed each resident that while they may have to isolate away safely during the pandemic, they most certainly were not out of our thoughts and our hearts. The initiative was very well received by residents, their families, the care home staff and the volunteers who took part in 2020, 2021 and 2022 and as a result there was a huge demand for its return for Christmas 2023.
An Post are kindly offering freepost for the entire year of 2023 (packages up to 1kg).
carepack.ie – spreading kindness one resident at a time!
Please check the FAQ (under the INFO tab) for the answers to many of your questions – how tos, what to send and when to send can all be found there. Happy carepacking!
carepack.ie is fully voluntary and does not accept monetary donations.
- carepack.ie is run solely by volunteers who are not paid for their time.
- carepack.ie does not now, nor has it ever accepted monetary donations.
- carepack.ie does not sell anything, nor has it ever sold anything.
- It is free to use this website – we use a shopping cart format to process your order, but there is no cost to volunteers who sign up. There has never been a cost to use this website.
- There is no cost to care homes or nursing homes to sign up to this kindness initative.
- All costs incurred for running this kindness initiative, including website domain and hosting is paid for solely by volunteers from their own private funds and no public contributions have ever been sought or have ever been accepted to cover those costs.
- This initiative is solely intended to spread a little kindness.
About Geraldine & Stephen
Geraldine Monaghan is a native of Shrule Co. Mayo, living just over the border in Caherlistrane, Co. Galway with her husband John and their three teenagers. Geraldine, better known as Ger, is a Graphic Designer at www.monodesign.ie, specialising in all Adobe programs and has extensive experience and training in social media marketing, management and public relations. Ger also manages her own profile page where she shares short stories and poetry. Ger’s is always motivated into action for a good cause. She also initiated the Galway Homeless Appeal, which went viral and spilt across the country in 2015 & 2016.
Stephen Griffin is a native of Galway City but lives in Corrandulla, Co. Galway with his wife Martina and their four Children. He has worked in IT for over 20 years and has extensive Web Development experience. Stephen is a Leader with the 26th Kilcoona Galway Scout Group and volunteers his IT and web services and expertise to various local organisations. Stephen has a good heart and believes in giving back… he puts it simply, “it’s nice to be nice”.